Joint AACC-ACCT FY 2018
AACC and the Association of
Community College Trustees sent
a joint letter to congressional
committee leaders requesting
their continued funding support
for key community college
federal programs. Read the letter:
AACC ONLINE THIS MONTH
Community College Daily/
• Using 3-D printers for a good cause.
• Not your typical day at the zoo.
• Finding skilled workers for 6 million available jobs.
21st Century Center/
• Helping refugee youth gain skills for the workforce.
• Connecting STEM students with industry partners.
• VFA helps colleges account for all students.
01 Board Chair’s Letter
Leading your institutions into
By Mary S. Graham
04 News & Analysis
White House pushes apprenticeships.
By Tabitha Whissemore
By Nicola C. Richmond
07 Lessons in Leadership
Using technology to carry out
By John T. Dever
OER initiative finds success
after first year.
By Emily Shenk Flory
A conversation on civic
engagement with Ralph Nader.
33 Quick Hits
Community College Innovation
Challenge teams show off their stuff.
Building student-centered websites.
By George Lamelza
36 Final Thoughts
Connecting with leaders.
By Walter G. Bumphus
© Tim Coffey 2017
For more information about Community
College Journal, call AACC at 202/728-0200, ext. 211.
Visit the Journal Online at